Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Life's Uncertain Eat Dessert First!

I had a t-shirt many years ago with the Garfield character on it with him sitting in front of a large cake with that saying above his head. I was hooked on Garfield comics for many years and found "his" outlook quite entertaining.
That line came back to my memory over the weekend when my husband and I went to see one of his favorite aunts that suffered a severe stroke just 4 days before Christmas last year.
While we were there even though it appeared that she was answering our questions and acted as if she knew us, it became apparent that all is not as it seems. When my sister-in-law asked her if she knew what her name is, she looked confused and could not answer. My husband's aunt has always been so full of life and we have hilarious quotes in our family that we use all the time that we got from her. It has been so hard to see her in her current state and not knowing to what degree she will recover.
I spoke with her the Saturday before Christmas and she had her stroke the next day, early Sunday morning. Little did I know that would be, at least for now, the last true conversation I would have with her.
I post all of this to say, we do not know what tomorrow holds. Of course we are to conduct ourselves with discipline and some structure but we need to remember that life truly is uncertain and that we do need to "Stop and smell the roses." Through this last visit we had with her it soberly reminded me that because life is uncertain, on occasion, eat dessert first! (Which by the way, she loves!:)

For You Aunt Caroline!

Rhonda

No comments:

Post a Comment