Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Reality Check

Yesterday my mom had surgery for what could have possibly been breast cancer. Thankfully it appears to be just scar tissue from a previous surgery. For my family that was awesome news not just for the fact that it wasn't cancer but that it wasn't cancer...again.
Four years ago my mom was diagnosed with breast cancer and went through several months of painful chemo and radiation treatments and is thankfully still cancer free by yesterday's news we were given!
Cancer has not left us alone though. This past summer my younger sister (five years younger) was diagnosed with breast cancer and is currently going through radiation treatments. It has not been an easy road but she is close to being able to say she is done with treatments!
My mother was the first in her family to be diagnosed breast cancer. The doctor diagnosed my mother's as being from her many years of hormone replacement therapy, but my sisters was diagnosed as being genetic. So it is possible that our mother's was as well but that is not certain. Please let this be a reminder to those of you on hormone therapy to research it out and make a more informed decision and not just based on your doctor's recommendation no matter how much you respect him/her.
All of this has been a stark reminder to me to do a reality check of how I am spending my "dash" and I hope that by sharing this in my post that it will do the same for you, the readers and those that you love.

Living In The Dash,
Rhonda

No comments:

Post a Comment